Artist: Wassily Kandinsky
Size: 23.6 x 32.6 cm
Medium: Oil on canvasboard
Creation year: 1902
Marks: Signed 'KANDINSKY' (lower left); signed again and inscribed 'KANDINSKY 'Phalanx' ' (on the reverse)
Provenance: Gabriele Munter, Murnau (acquired from the artist); Galerie Anne Abels, Cologne (by 1968); Leonard Hutton Galleries, New York; sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, Inc., New York, 9 April 1969, lot 40; Leona Cantor, Beverly Hills (acquired at the previous sale); Leonard Hutton Galleries, New York; Jan Ahlers, Herford, Germany; Leonard Hutton Galleries, New York; Acquired from the previous by the present owner, February 2002.
Exhibition history: Cologne, Galerie Anne Abels, Erbsloh und sein Kreis, June-August 1968, no. 34 (illustrated; dated 1906-1907 and titled Kirche in Kochel); Munich, Bayerische Staatsgemaldesammlungen, December 1993 (on loan); Kochel, Germany, Franz Marc Museum, 1994-2000 (on extended loan).